Top 5 Movies (Jan 2016)
These are the top five movies I watched (for the first time) in January of 2016. I probably will be doing this for each month and eventually catching up to present day but here we go...
- 5.The Big ShortThis movie was a perfect storm for me and one I was all but guaranteed to enjoy. As a film nerd and economics nerd, what could be better than a movie about Economics. Plus it helps that this was a slam dunk of a movie in its own right.
- 4.Catch Me If You CanDefinitely one of those that I got looks for never having seen, and now that I've seen it I understand why. Another perfect storm for me because I'm fascinated by conmen and stories about them (kind of connects back to The Big Short as well I guess).
- 3.LockeIf you've ever wondered whether Tom Hardy is a great actor or not, watch this movie immediately. The fact that he's able to carry a film where he's the only onscreen character is a testament to his prowess as an actor. That's not to take a way from the writing and directing however, as both are stellar even without Hardy
- 2.BrooklynIf you know me well, you know I'm madly in love with Saoirse Ronan, and this is the movie that made me fall for her. Beyond just Saoirse, this whole movie is just a nice relaxing and enjoyable experience. This would probably be number one if they hadn't wasted so much time on the Domhnall Gleeson thing (no spoilers).
- 1.Inside Llewyn DavisI have yet to see a Coen brothers movie that I haven't thoroughly enjoyed (though I've heard Ladykillers could break that streak). Not only does this movie have the Coens behind the camera, but Oscar Isaac (one of the best actors working right now) in front of it. Add in great music and that's a recipe for a masterpiece.