Stuff I'm Into This Week
- •Archy & MehitabelA literary cockroach and a free spirit cat who used to be Cleopatra. I've had this book for as long as I can remember and it only gets better as I get older. And illustrated by George Herriman!
- •ShampooI love the American films of the 1970s, and I flatter myself to think that I know most of the great ones, or at least that they're on my radar. I was certainly aware of Shampoo, but I figured it was just a cultural satire/sex comedy that was long out of date. Wow, was I wrong … this is a great movie. It reminded me of Truffaut's The Man Who Loved Women, and Boogie Nights, and even Rules of the Game. It's both comic and tragic at the same time, and it has a lot to say about men (and America).
- •Cider doughnutsOne of the best things about fall. For maximum effect, serve with hot chai and a fleece-lined flannel shirt.
- •Cinnamon ice cream from Ferris Acres CreameryIf you distilled warm puppies and sunshine down to their essence and mixed them up with just a pinch of fairy dust it would taste like hot garbage compared to this.
- •Kosmischer Läufer: The Secret Cosmic Music of the East German Olympic Program 1972–83, Volume 3There are some among us to whom the words "retro electronica" bring a feeling of warmth and joy. Take my hand and run with me to the concrete Bauhaus gymnasium, where we will consummate our love in wind sprints: https://kosmischerlaufer.bandcamp.com/album/volume-three