The rules of Mölkky, illustrated
Thank you for this timely and important list request, @andersun !
- •For those who don't know, Mölkky is the invigorating Finnish lawn entertainment system that is taking America by storm.
- •First, acquire an officially licensed Mölkky set or create your own bootleg set with woodworking tools and a grove of young trees.For the production of homemade sets a beard is recommended but not required.
- •The numbered Mölkky skittles are arranged upon the lawn in the formation shown below, as tightly grouped as possible.
- •Mark off a throwing distance of roughly nine to thirteen feet away, depending on the challenge desired.
- •The throwing skittle is then taken firmly in hand. The throwing skittle may only be thrown underhand.
- •Now chuck the throwing skittle at the other skittles! Just like the sick, twisted anarchist you are.Overexcited mom not included.
- •Look at the havoc and destruction you caused! You're really good at this! Score a point for each skittle you knocked down.Skittles that are on top of or leaning on other skittles do not count.
- •However, if you manage to knock down just one skittle, instead you score the number on the skittle.Look at you! You're a superstar!
- •The skittles are then stood back up wherever they landed—not back in the original formation.
- •Over time the skittles will get more and more spread out, requiring more skill and strategy.
- •Quite spread out indeed!Like your mom
- •But be careful! If you miss three times in a row you're out of the game!No more Mölkky for you.
- •The first player to hit EXACTLY fifty points is the winner!
- •But if you go past fifty points, your score drops back to twenty-five as a penalty, and you keep playing.Boo!
- •That's it! Now that you know how to play Mölkky, Why not try it today?Three cheers for Finland!
- •Bonus pic: Mölkky in action! My friend Erik goes for the gold.