My New Favorite Topanga Hike Is in Malibu!
Im not sure where the line is between Topanga and Malibu, but we definitely crossed it. This hike is easy, short-ish, gorgeous, and empty.
- •Drive along Skyline Dr toward Malibu. On your left, you'll see this parking lot. Park here, or along the road.
- •There will be this little rock formation separating Stunt and Skyline. Look closely, and you'll see the entrance to the continuation of the Backbone Trail.
- •A closer view!
- •Take this trail along the ridge. Enjoy the great views. They'll only get better.
- •You'll see a water tower. Keep going.
- •There's this at a fork in the road. Stay left.Props to whoever has this camper up in the middle of the fire road. Well done.
- •It doesn't look like you can keep going. You can. Walk around the water tower and find the trail on the backside of it.
- •Keep going. You'll find another fork in the road - if you go right, you'll continue on the Backbone Trail. But you're going to stay left instead, and you'll round a bend and see this:
- •Now it just gets pretty af. Walk along the trail until it Ts. Make the left, up the hill.
- •You'll come to the top of the mountain. It's flat and wide, filled with caged baby oak trees. There are views out onto Malibu and Santa Monica on one side.
- •And Topanga all the way to downtown on the other.
- •It's fucking breathtaking.