Why Genre Is the Best Genre (to Work In)
In grad school I thought I'd work in sitcoms, and when I got agents I was marketed as a chick who writes action. But I'm now staffed on my second genre show, and there's no going back!
- •Do you like to imagine vast worlds where nothing is assumed and anything goes?Robots walking amongst us? Sure! Witches ruling over feudal countrysides? Why not! THERE IS NO SPOON, GUYS. I am paid to be like Ellen Page in Inception, minus all the bandanas. Those I wear for me.
- •You know when you were a kid and you made up crazy rules, like don't step on the grass! It's lava! But if you carry the magic stick you can step on the lava! And it was thrilling? YOU GET TO DO THAT ALL DAY.Welcome to the realm of What If. Making rules (and breaking them) has never been so fun.
- •Do you like puzzles?Someone will hand you several rule sets, and you'll be challenged to figure out how to make them fit together. YOUR JOB IS LITERALLY A GAME. And by the way, there is no better feeling than when you find an elegant solution. Just the words together, elegant + solution, makes my stomach feel tingly and warm.
- •You want to be able to make a deep-cut reference to Battlestar Galactica and not have to follow it up with an explanation?You are surrounded by your brand of nerd! (But speaking of which - there will be a lot of Star Trek references to seasons and spin offs you didn't know existed. Just nod and smile and Wikipedia that shit.)
- •Want to work in a world where certain comics and video games are as revered as award-winning novels?I'm looking at you, Portal.
- •You want to discuss controversial issues without turning people off or getting railed for preaching?You can! (And should!) Just shroud your point under layers of alternate realities. They don't even have to be that veiled (see: 1984, V for Vendetta, etc)! A spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down.
- •You want to inspire people's imaginations?Comicon is popular for a reason. Who doesn't like to take a break from the real world? Who doesn't want to entertain the idea that there's a hero inside of them?
- •Want to be challenged to think of something no one has thought of before?All stories may be the same, and there may only be 7 plots, but no one else has made a world like the one you've quietly built in your own head. You're the first explorer there. You get to plant your flag.