Hamlet: film versions
I have a slight obsession with Hamlet. This is my list of all the film versions I've seen, in order of my faves, listed by the actor that played Hamlet. I'm not a fan of the idea that Hamlet had an Oedipus complex, which is reflected in my order of favorites. :)
- 1.David TennantIt honestly has little to do with my love for all things Doctor. He is an amazing actor, period. Also, this version is #1 in spite of my least favorite Claudius (Stewart). FYI: he plays him the same as he did for Jacobi's Hamlet.
- 2.Kenneth BranaghI love this version because it's the most inclusive. Also, my favorite version of Claudius (Jacobi).
- 3.Derek JacobiI wish someone else had played Claudius (Stewart again).
- 4.Christopher PlummerI was delightfully surprised by how much I liked this version.
- 5.Innokenti SmoktunovskyInteresting, more political than personal take on the story.
- 6.Adrian LesterHis talent was why I watched the entire film, he's excellent.
- 7.Nicol WilliamsonYes, he's a bit older than most playing Hamlet. It provides a different take on the story.
- 8.Laurence OlivierSquick. The start of seeing Oedipal elements in the scene with Gertrude. He's so good though.
- 9.Campbell Scott
- 10.Richard Chamberlain
- 11.Richard BurtonI couldn't get past the overacting.
- 12.Mel GibsonOne of my favorite portrayals of Ophelia, but ewwww, Gertrude, keep your tongue to yourself.
- 13.Kevin KlineI really like Kevin Kline. I just didn't care for this version.
- 14.William HoustonGood acting, terrible production.
- 15.Ethan HawkeI'm not a purist, but I just didn't like it.
- 16.Wilson BelchambersFodor's. Nope.
- 17.Tony & David MeyerSo weird. 70s performance art version, a.k.a. Coronado's.