FRIDAY MORNING AT THE OFFICE
Everybody's working for the weekend. Sigh.
- •Get in the door and sit down. Oops, computer needs to be rebooted. Oops, I changed my password yesterday. Cycle through four different programs that don't work without manually changing the password as they pop up over top of each other.
- •Get up and wander into the kitchen to make a pot of coffee. Door alarm chimes so I stop to investigate. Expecting outside clients to show up any minute.
- •Make the pot of coffee and return to my desk. Oh look, I.T. reset our file server yesterday and all my links are broken. Send out a help desk ticket.
- •Phone rings and I talk to I.T. for 10 minutes to get my links fixed. Finish and transfer the phone to the next person. Done and done.
- •Get up and return to the kitchen. Pour my coffee and take one sip before being called into the other room about our copier's scanner not working.
- •Return to my computer and type in skype back to I.T. Return to the kitchen, and grab my coffee cup, taking it back to my desk.
- •Take a second sip. I.T. calls again and I have to get up and read off copier information for a remote driver update. Return to desk for another sip, but am called into the next room again by yet another person.
- •Return to my desk, eyes bloodshot, about to take a sip of rapidly cooling coffee. Catching up on email backlog. Door chimes and the clients have arrived.
- •Proceed to call a distinguished woman in a sharp pantsuit sir by accident. Embarrassed, I slink into my desk and sip from my now lukewarm mug. Sorry, I say. "I haven't really had my coffee yet." Does not seem amused.
- •Only 7 hours + to go.