HOW I SPENT MY MORNING
My experience having a myelogram of my cervical spine.
- •Many of you know about my lower back problem resulting in the need for back surgery.Surgery was unsuccessful. I am left with permanent neurologic leg pain and weakness in both legs. I am disabled as a result. My spine surgeon told me this could happen in other parts of my spinal column.
- •Unfortunately my surgeon's warning came true.Now I have cervical (neck) spine symptoms in my right arm. It comes and goes and varies among excruciating shooting pain down my right arm, achy pain, and numbness and tingling.
- •I can't have an MRI because I have spinal stimulator implanted to help reduce the pain.So they ordered a myelogram.
- •First they do a lumbar puncture (insert a needle into the spinal canal in your lower back)They numb the area first
- •Then they inject contrast (dye) that helps them see your cervical spine more clearly.
- •Then they adjusted the gurney so my head was lower than my body.They had me roll side to side about 3 times to get the dye down to my head and distributed
- •After that a CT scan of my neck
- •While all this was going on, my husband played solitaire to pass the time
- •They had me lay flat for about 90 minutes. I had a slight headache after about 30 minutes. Otherwise I could have gotten up after 60 minutes.I drank 3 cups of tea because they said caffeine would help with the headache and it did.
- •I soon felt back to baseline and my head could be up 30°See how happy I was?
- •Note bed hair with static electricity! 😂😂😂And attractive hospital gown
- •And finally I was discharged home
- •The discharge instructions are disappointing.Lounge in bed or a recliner as flat as possible except for meals and bathroom for 24 hours. Light activity the following 24 hours. We have a *very* busy week and I had hoped to get a few things done. No tubs for 7 days (this is the worst for me because I use my therapy tub for pain relief). Showers okay after today. Not much I can do about it except follow the rules. Life goes on❗️
- •Thank you for reading my list! Love and hugs❤️💞❤️💞❤️