Memories of things we did in the summer in my hometown
The town had an organized summer program that included arts and crafts, games, contests, field trips, and other fun stuff
- •Making crosses from matchsticksThis was in a town on the Jersey side of the Hudson River with lots of Jewish people. Somehow no one questioned it.
- •Making things from Popsicle sticksBowls, boxes, napkin holders
- •Chess and checker tournamentsI never liked these. They were rainy day activities.
- •Crazy hat paradeWon most original the year I attached a doll dressed as the Statue of Liberty to a foil pie pan and somehow wore that on my head.
- •Annual trip to see a Yankees gameLater on we saw the Mets, too
- •Annual trip to Bear MountainWe always got a bologna sandwich on white bread, an apple, and a carton of milk for lunch. I was a picky eater. Had to scrape the mustard off the bread and drink water from the fountain because I only liked chocolate milk.
- •The Friday night dancesThe town strung lights between 2 fire trucks in the schoolyard. They played 50s and 60s Rock and roll because that's when I grew up. They weren't oldies yet.
- •The Saturday night moviesSimilar to Friday night set up but projected movie on brick school wall instead. No one could see or hear the movie but we got to stay up late and play.
- •Play, play, play!Board games, card games, duck, duck, goose, relay races, stickball, dodgeball, hopscotch, jump rope, swings, monkey bars, Mr. Fox, tag, hide and seek
- •Music all day and all nightWe were working class poor but my dad got each of us (I have 2 brothers) a tv and transistor radio. This made me very popular. We would listen to rock and roll and sing our hearts out
- •Palisades Amusement ParkIt was in our town. We went to "the park" often to swim in the pool, play arcade games, go on rides, and just hang out. Every Saturday Cousin Brucie hosted live music at the park.
- •The city (what we called New York)Once we were teenagers we went to all the free Central Park concerts, matinee plays, new release movies, etc
- •Ice cream trucksGood Humor and Mister Softie
- •Final thoughtsBest summers ever!!!