WILDLIFE SIGHTINGS IN MY BACKYARD IN FLORIDA
We had a 200 foot buffer of lightly wooded uplands between our screened-in back porch and a lake. My husband placed 2 large bird feeders back there. Of course we saw birds but lots of critters like birdseed!
- •The best sighting was a fleeting glimpse of a Florida panther in broad daylight. He was large and majestic.
- •Red foxes came regularly. As dusk set in they were often first.
- •Raccoons were also common. Once a mama came with four babies. A noise scared them and all five ran up the trees and velcroed themselves there for about five minutes until mama gave the all clear.
- •About twice a week we'd see an opossum. Not my favorite but certainly happy to see them anyway.
- •We saw an owl once. He was very large. He sat on top of the bird feeder but didn't eat. Then for no apparent reason did that owl-head-turning thing they do.
- •Florida has dozens of excellent birds. My favorites in the back were the Sandhills cranes.
- •I didn't like the alligators or snakes but they were around, too.
- •And of course where there's a bird feeder there are squirrels.They are a little scrawny in Florida.
- •So almost every evening at dusk we would sit out back on our back porch and watch the sunset on the lake and the activity at the bird feeders.
- •I do miss that.