10 Things Only Depression Era Kids Will Understand
Inspired by @Nicholas
- 1.Waking up with these guys!Steamboat Willie! Of course we couldn't afford to go to the picture show so I never actually saw any of the movies but I dreamt about it every night and woke up to the crushing reality that if I did see a mouse that day, it was likely to end up on our supper plate because we didn't have any other food.
- 2.Owning WAY too many of these!My 17 siblings and I would always fight over the sports section so we could read ourselves to sleep while we stayed warm.
- 3.Begging your mom to buy these at the grocery store!A three week old doughnut with no filling and no sugar what-so-ever never tasted so good in your life! 😋
- 4.Hours spent playing with this!!Oh the good ol days. We used to march around and pretend like we were making a difference.
- 5.Hanging out after school with the crew.We didn't have any toys so we just sat in dirt when we weren't playing with our signs or eating stale doughnuts.
- 6.The way Charlie Chaplin always treated Edna Purviance.
- 7.Wanting nothing more than to win a trip to anywhere with a job.
- 8.How people's signs said what we were all thinking.
- 9.Learning to love reading thanks to these guys.The Santa Ana Register. We'd fight over who got the best section. Then you'd pull out all the half pages and eat them because the printing press ink will trick your stomach into thinking there's actually nourishment. Then we'd use the big folded pages as blankets!
- 10.Only the cool kids had these.Shoes.