A note to the class of 2016
This will resonate a lot more if you read it in your best Morgan Freeman voice.
- •Wear a condom.I know, awkward place to start, right? But, you're an adult now, it's time to get real about life. Don't be that guy(or girl) that tries to pull the "I don't like condoms" thing. Nobody likes them. But you don't want a moment of pleasure to change the rest of your life. And trust me, you've got a lot of living to do. It only seems like you know it all right now, but there is so much more to discover.
- •I wish I could tell you that Andy fought the good fight, and the Sisters let him be. I wish I could tell you that - but prison is no fairy-tale world.Wait, sorry, I was focusing on channeling Morgan Freeman and that was an actual quote from Shawshank Redemption. Where was I? Oh yeah...
- •TravelThe more you see of the world, the better chance you will have of understanding it. There's so much beauty in the world and so much to be learned. Embrace it all. You don't need a direction, just go, the journey itself will be worth it.
- •Treat everyone fairly.And, if you can do better than that, treat everyone how you'd want to be treated. Learn to appreciate differences you have with people, that's how we grow. Be someone that says yes. Be someone that gives others the benefit of the doubt. Don't be naive, but be willing to be helpful.
- •Keep an open mind.Not everything is what you think it is. Not everything is how it should be, or how you'd want it to be. And that's ok. Be willing to accept that things won't always go how you thought and be ready to roll with the punches.
- •Discover your passion.Whatever it is, go for it! Don't let anyone tell you that you can't achieve your dreams. The secret to life is that the people who are happiest do what makes them happy. You can make anything happen if you are willing to try hard enough. Don't be affected by what other people think or say or do. Pick out what you want to do and do it. It comes down to a simple choice really, get busy living or get busy dying. https://youtu.be/q6v_eSNVxec
- •Don't let fear hold you backWhen it comes time to look back on your life, the things you'll regret most are the things you didn't do. Go talk to that pretty girl, she's not out of your league and she's probably waiting for somebody to come talk to her. And, if you're a girl, go talk to that guy you like. Don't let gender role expectations hold you back. Or, go rock climbing, go sky diving, go on that audition, move across country. Just don't let fear and/or fear of judgement or rejection hold you back!
- •Don't peak in high school!!The scariest thing about graduating is coming to grips with the fact that it all starts over now. Whatever you accomplished in high school was great, whether academically, athletically, or otherwise. But that's behind you now and you need to start building towards new accomplishments. Whether that's in college or in another aspect of life. Now you know that you can do it, because you've made it this far but you have to keep pushing.
- •Love yourself!You don't have to be conceited about it. But you need to appreciate who you are. There is no one in this world that is youer than you, and you are amazing! Love yourself. Find out what makes you happy and do that. Love yourself and do what makes you happy. Do it and don't be afraid to be happy, you deserve it. And, love yourself, it's worth repeating. https://youtu.be/NRKZh-2j4PY