Soundtrack to My Life
Inspired by the wonderful soundtracks created by @kate81 and @dad3
- •Oblio's return - Harry StilssonHarry Nilsson released the album "The Point!" in 1971 and the entire album is a story about a boy named Oblio; he didn't have a pointed head but lived in a town with people that all had pointed heads. It kinda sounds like if Dr.Seuss played guitar instead wrote children's books, it's catchy and silly and not really anything I'd "rock out" to. My parents called me Oblio until they decided on my actual name: His Dudeness, which is hard enough to grow up with! (My mom fucking loves this story.)
- •Jumpin' Jack Flash - the Rolling StonesThis is my dad's all-time favorite song. He used to recite different lyrics to me as a kid, and I didn't understand at the time that they were song lyrics. I used to think he had a rough childhood "I was schooled by a toothless, bearded hag. I was raised with a strap right across my back." When I got into high school and started paying more attention to lyrics, it was like rediscovering my father - I felt like I learned so much more about him through his favorite music.
- •The Apartment Song - Tom PettyMarch 3, 1990 - my mom took me to my first concert: Tom Petty (and most of the Travelling Wilbury's)and the Heartbreakers with Jackson Browne as the opening artist. I fell in love with music, instantly! Even though midway through Jackson Browne's set my mom put a blanket over my head because everyone was smoking weed and I was 8. We left before Petty's set ended because my mom was worried I was "contact high." I've seen Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers 8 more times, never missed another encore.
- •Surfing Safari - the Beach BoysGleaming the Cube and Teen Wolf were my 2 favorite movies growing up. My dad had a pickup truck and he would drive my friends and I down beach blvd, blasting surfin safari, while one of us stood up in the truck bed and pretended to surf (teen wolf style) and the rest of us would hold onto the truck while riding our skateboards (gleaming the cube style) until we got to the beach. Then we would body-surf at "the wedge" because everyone said it was too dangerous for kids.
- •Linger - CranberriesI was 12, my parents separated, I started junior high and I was filled with emotions and hormones and skittles! My girlfriend was older and a grade higher and this was both her favorite song and a perfect description of our relationship, "you know I'm such a fool for you, you've got me wrapped around your finger." And my junior high friends were not shy about teasing me and commenting on how 'whipped' I was.
- •Against All Odds - TupacI lived with my grandma in jr.high because after my parents separated my mom moved to another city, my dad couldn't take care of me and I wanted to go to school with all my friends. I excelled in school and in sports and I was a terror everywhere else, with very little supervision. I was an only child, fiercely independent, and I was eager to prove I could take care of myself.
- •Basket Case - Green DayA lot of firsts happened at the Green Day concert I went to, on the Dookie tour. I broke my nose for the first time, in the mosh pit. It was the first concert I attended without parental supervision. And I awkwardly fumbled my way through losing my virginity after the concert.
- •Surf wax America - WeezerLearning to surf really helped me figure out how to calm down as a teen. It gave me something productive I could do on my own. It helped to shape my appreciation for nature and embrace the beauty in the world. It gave me a reason to get out of bed and start my day, which also meant I had a reason to not be up all night. Bus rides to the beach with my walk-man and the blue album probably kept me out of jail.
- •Interlude - Tom Petty (on the Full Moon Fever cd, after song 6, Tom Petty says something like "we will now pause for a moment to give those listening on cassette or vinyl to turn the album over and begin listening to side 2, begin side 2")At this point in my life: Michael Jackson was white, Hillel Slovak; Eazy-E; Freddie Mercury; Kurt Cobain; Tupac and Biggie were dead, they cancelled the World Series and the finality of life began to set in. Shit got real. My parents seperated, I got expelled from jr.high for fighting, I was getting in to all kinds of other trouble. I needed to pause for a moment, turn things over and begin side two. Begin side 2.
- •My Name is - EminemAfter getting expelled from junior high(finished at a continuation school), I no longer had a choice of where to live, my mom took me and I lived in a new city, went to a new high school and had to make new friends. I had scholarship(both academic & baseball)offers from several private high schools but turned them down because I was a public school guy(meaning my 14yr old brain couldn't rationalize wearing a uniform to school). The fresh start paid off and I started making better life decisions.
- •Night Moves - Bob SegerAt 16, I bought my first car (1977 Dodge Tradesman Van) for $1,000! It only had a drivers seat, we put a beanbag in the passenger area, a bed in the back and hung Xmas lights inside that plugged into the lighter. I would drive my gf to the beach, she would hotbox the van and paint while I surfed, then we'd go to school. We listened to a lot of Bob Seger and a lot of Led Zeppelin and I broke up with her because she smoked too much weed(my wife laughs at this now because the tables have turned).
- •Dosed - Red Hot Chili Peppers"I got dosed by you and Closer than most to you and What am I supposed to do Take it away I never had it anyway Take it away and everything will be okay." My baseball career was ended by injury my sophomore year of college. In baseball lingo getting "dosed" means getting hit with the ball, I got dosed by life and didn't recover quickly. Baseball was the only thing I ever wanted to do with my life, I was certain that it was my calling. It wasn't. I saw RHCP in concert, in Vegas, that same summer.
- •Jesus Doesn't Want me for a Sunbeam - NirvanaWhat do you do when your star doesn't shine as bright, when your hopes for the future have been dashed and the thing that got you out of bed in the morning is gone? For me, I started doing drugs, gambling(excessively and illegally) and dating the wrong women(like bad people wrong, not just it didn't work out so they weren't right for me). Losing my best friend is the only thing that affected me more negatively. I would eventually finish college but it would take another six years.
- •Centerfield - John Fogerty10.27.02-the Anaheim Angels win the World Series! My wife understands that our wedding day is a close second on a list of happiest days of my life. I went to game 2, on 10.20.02, and I went to 1 game every round of the playoffs that year. It was an amazing time in life, all of my favorite sports teams were winning championships in the first few years of my college journey. Rams in 2000, Lakers 00-02 and my favorite team of all-time won their only World Series the year I came back to my hometown.
- •Use Somebody - Kings of Leon1.15.09 - I walked into a book store and saw a beautiful angel sitting at the coffee shop. I stopped what I was doing and went to introduce myself. We talked for three hours before leaving the book store. That night she would tell her friend that she met the man she was going to marry. 5.5 years later, on July 12, 2014, we got married in Santa Barbara and our first dance as husband and wife was to Use Somebody by Kings of Leon. My wife is the only thing in my life that I love more than baseball.
- •Who Wants to Live Forever - Queen3.25.14 - my best friend died from complications due to H.I.V. I didn't realize that could still happen! Don't we have medicine that helps people live a longtime with H.I.V now? Magic Johnson is still alive! I was crushed. No way to accurately describe my depression. I had recently taken a promotion and moved to San Diego. When I got the call from @ElDudetterino, I left work, drove 2 hours to the hospital, got there 5min after he died. I'll never get over it. Ever. My wife postponed our wedding.
- •Running Down a Dream - Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers8.12.14 & 10.11.14 - Went to see Tom Petty twice on his most recent tour for the Hypnotic Eye album, the first and last show of the tour. The first show is the only time I've seen him play my favorite song of all time "Tweeter and the Monkey Man." The second show, my friends were smoking weed and I made them stop because there was an 8yr old kid in front of us with his mom, and I didn't want him to have to leave early or sit through the concert with a blanket over his head.
- •(Bonus Track) Freedom - Jimi Hendrix. When we first started dating, my wife would come watch me play whatever sport was in season. I was playing in a flag football game and at halftime I looked over and saw a puppy sitting in her lap.She asks if we can keep him (and I know that really means can he live with me). So, I make her call my roommate and landlord to get their approval. We leave and he walks with us to my truck but doesn't get in when I open the door. I turn the key, the music starts "you got my pride, hanging outta my bed" and the dog jumps in my truck. So I decide to name him Hendrix and keep him.