Sister Corita Kent's Rules for Students and Teachers
Popularized by Composer John Cage
- •Find a place you trust, and then try trusting it for a while.
- •General duties of a Student:Pull everything out of your teachers and pull everything out of your fellow students.
- •General Duties of a Teacher:Pull everything out of your students.
- •Consider everything an experiment.
- •Be self-disciplined:This means finding someone who is wise or smart and choosing to follow them. To be disciplined is to follow in a good way. To be self-disciplined is to follow in a better way.
- •Nothing is a mistake. There is no win and no fail. There is only make.
- •The only rule is work.If you work it will lead to something. It's the people that do all of the work all of the time that eventually catch on to things.
- •Don't try to create and analyze at the same time, they're different processes.
- •Be happy whenever you can manage it. Enjoy yourself. It's lighter than you think.
- •We're breaking our own rules, even our own rules. How do we do that? By leaving plenty of room for X quantities. -John Cage
- •Always be around, come or go to everything. Always go to classes. Read anything you can get your hands on. Look at movies carefully, often. Save everything -- it might come in handy later.