Top LGBTQ Headlines You Might Have Missed This Week: Feb. 27-March 3, 2017
For full stories, head to www.hrc.org/blog.
- •Trump AdministrationGlobal LGBTQ voices speak out on Capitol Hill about Trump’s order on immigration...Leaked anti-LGBTQ Trump order fuels expansion of state “License to Discriminate” bills...HRC calls on Jeff Sessions to resign for false senate testimony, violating public trust.
- •#ProtectTransKidsDear Sean, Here’s some #RealFacts on transgender kids who will be hurt by your boss’s decision. Best, Chad...SCOTUS shuts down transphobic Liberty Counsel lawyer...Meet the Texas kids affected by Trump’s cruel attack on transgender students…Federal judge rules in favor of trans sister of Jackie Evancho...53 major companies join HRC’s amicus brief to #StandWithGavin AND #ProtectTransKids.
- •LGBTQ Visibility in HollywoodMoonlight takes home best picture, first LGBTQ film to do so...When We Rise premieres on ABC...Brendon Urie joins HRC’s Equality Rocks campaign...Moonlight in the spotlight -- Making history with many groundbreaking Oscar firsts...Trans actress left off Oscars’ ‘In Memoriam’ segment...Disney airs first same-sex cartoon kiss.
- •Transgender EqualityHRC mourns Tiara Richmond, trans woman of color murdered in Chicago…Two trans women of color murdered in New Orleans since Saturday...Experiences of black trans people in healthcare...HRC implores lawmakers to address epidemic of anti-transgender violence...HRC mourns Jaquarrius Holland, third black trans woman killed in Louisiana this month...If you stand with the trans community, you must #StandWithPP...LGBTQ Equality Caucus relaunches Trans Equality Task Force.
- •Around the GlobeUnreported anti-LGBTQ violence in Latin-America...HRC Global partners with LGBTQ advocates in Nicaragua...United Nations to investigate anti-LGBTQ discrimination in Argentina...HRC recommends books for immigrant students and their families...Finally! Wedding bells in Finland.
- •Equality From State-to-StateWe cannot replace HB2 with “new” HB2.0...Three things to know about North Carolina’s discriminatory HB186 bill -- a/k/a HB2.0...Arkansas Senate passes absurd anti-LGBTQ resolution to undermine marriage equality...Nearly 70 national businesses sent letter opposing Texas anti-LGBTQ bill…Veto that anti-LGBTQ bill, Gov. Daugaard -- it harms kids.