Top LGBTQ Headlines You Might Have Missed This Week: Jan. 2-6, 2017
For full stories, head to www.hrc.org/blog.
- •Inspiration#ThanksObama: President Obama’s legacy of achievement for LGBTQ people is unmatched by any president in American history...HRC’s Sarah McBride named one of Forbes’ “30 Under 30” Game Changers…NYC subway mosaic features same-sex couple in first permanent piece of LGBTQ public art in state…Congratulations to Greg Berlanti, film and television writer, producer and director, and Robbie Rogers of the LA Galaxy, who announced their engagement via Instagram.
- •GlobalMarriage equality in Taiwan moved from “conflict” to “discussion”......Ruling in historic Chinese anti-transgender discrimination case...Italy opens its first center for LGBTQ refugees....Startups in India fighting HIV with tech.
- •President-Elect TrumpTrump’s anti-LGBTQ attorney general pick...Anti-LGBTQ Florida AG Bondi rumored for job in Trump administration...Slate’s Nathaniel Frank reports that former Indiana Sen. Dan Coats may become Trump’s Director of National Intelligence...NYT creates weekly compilation of bias-motivated incidents in wake of Trump presidency…...Deeply alarming--report says DeVos discussing gutting critical protections for LGBTQ youth.
- •Transgender UpdatesICYMI--Judge puts thousands at risk by halting enforcement of federal transgender healthcare protections...ICYMI: Transgender boy kicked out of Cub Scouts...Anti-transgender bill filed in Virginia...A bill with similar anti-transgender language was filed in Kentucky...Texas Lt. Gov. Patrick plots discriminatory attack on transgender Texans...VA Gov. McAuliffe orders LGBTQ protections extended to state contractors…HRC mourns Mehsa Caldwell, first reported trans murder victim of 2017.
- •U.S. NewsEquality champion Roy Cooper sworn in as NC governor…To undermine marriage equality, Missouri lawmaker moves to deny all couples the right to marry...Tennessee businesses warn lawmakers about anti-LGBTQ measures...The military says #ThanksObama--president reflects on repeat of DADT...VOA looks back at Obama as the most pro-LGBTQ president in history...HRC partners with prevention access campaign to correct misinformation about HIV.