Top LGBTQ Headlines You Might Have Missed This Week: July 24-28, 2017
For full stories, head to www.hrc.org/blog.
- 1.The Trump Administration 🏛️Trump launches all out assault on service members; HRC and advocates fight back -- #ProtectTransTroops…Trump-Pence administration asserts civil rights laws won’t apply to LGBTQ people…Trump-Pence-McConnell’s disastrous proposal to strip health care from millions fails…Trump’s despicable ban on transgender troops meets widespread, bipartisan condemnation…Trump nominates anti-LGBTQ Sam Brownback as religious ambassador.
- 2.Government ⚖️New Labor, Health & Human Services, and Education appropriations bill…Homophobe sues members of Congress for displaying pride flag…Senate republicans advance plan to rip health care from millions…Sources say Sessions poised to undermine crucial LGBTQ workplace protections…HRC to senators -- maintain “blue slip” process for court nominees.
- 3.Global Equality 🌎German president signs marriage equality into law…India to break ground on government housing for trans community…Filipino lawmaker introduces same-sex civil partnership bill...Increasingly dangerous climate for LGBTQ people in Poland...54% of Christian Australians support marriage equality…LGBTQ Ugandan badminton champ forced to flee home country.
- 4.Equality from State to State 🇺🇸TX mom of trans child -- ‘he deserves a summer vacation with his friends’...TX senate advances anti-LGBTQ SB3…Anti-LGBTQ TX legislation deepens rift in GOP…NJ implements two laws protecting trans community…HRC endorses Dr. Ralph Northam for VA gov…MI LGBTQ groups ask state to clarify law…Disgraced AL judge Roy Moore stands by Trump’s bigotry...DE Gov. aims to make schools more LGBTQ inclusive...ACLU & Lambda Legal challenge NC’s anti-trans law in new suit…Big win for trans students in MN.
- 5.Health Care & the LGBTQ Community🏥🌡New report -- AIDS deaths are half of what they were in 2005…Cuts to Planned Parenthood would be devastating for LGBTQ people…New report shows harms of medically unnecessary surgery on intersex children.
- 6.LGBTQ News in Media🌟HRC mourns loss of Billy Manes, former editor of Watermark…New Washington Blade series explores bisexual experience…Happy anniversary, Equality Federation!...MTV announces nominations for VMAs -- gender neutral categories…One year later, DNC convention stars deliver message of hope & power.