Top LGBTQ Headlines You Might Have Missed This Week: May 30 - June 2, 2017
For full stories, head to www.hrc.org/blog.
- •The Trump Administration 🏛️Shocking--Trump now seeks to dismantle enforcement of fed anti-discrimination worker protections…No, Sean Spicer, Donald Trump does not care about human rights…The Advocate puts it best–no, Ivanka, your pride tweets don’t make you an LGBTQ ally…And, note to Ivanka, the Navy shows how to do it right…Trumps proposed budget will harm LGBTQ people and their families.
- •Global Equality 🌎Memo to Trump: this is leadership--French president calls on Putin to investigate LGBTQ persecution in Chechnya…HRC submits Senate testimony supporting UN Human Rights Council…No 2 scoops for you, Australia…In Asia, LGBTQ rights take two steps forward, one step back…AP details increasing threats to equality at home and abroad…LGBTQ advocates forced to cancel conference in China…#EyesOnChechnya–the Kremlin was complicit in crimes…Despite gov’t pushback, Singapore Pride could be largest yet.
- •Transgender Rights 💗💙Makeup has no gender--10-year-old guru breaking norms…Communities supporting trans children with book reading…7th Circuit Court upholds right of transgender student to use facilities consistent with his gender identity…Oregon governor signs law protecting transgender community…Read about “transgender broken arm syndrome”...What anti-transgender laws mean to one trans Arkansan student.
- •Equality from State to State 🇺🇸Civil rights groups, major business leaders condemn TX’s slate of anti-LGBTQ bills…HRC joins Equality Florida’s #HonorThemWithAction campaign…RI House votes to protect youth from “conversion therapy”…MI lawmakers call for nondiscrimination protections for LGBTQ community…Charlotte philanthropists to fund LGBTQ youth shelter…NPR interviews organizer of Los Angeles #ResistMarch…CA Senate approves bill to protect LGBTQ seniors…WI introduces bill for nondiscrimination protections for trans people.
- •LGBTQ Equality in Entertainment 🏳️🌈 🌟Get out your popcorn--Ellen’s back at the mic…Rep Scott Taylor (R-VA) endorses Equality Act… Billy Eichner writes about the need for fuller, more diverse LGBTQ stories…Joe Biden officiates same-sex wedding…NBC Out announced its #Pride30 list…Google Doodle celebrates what would have been rainbow flag creator Gilbert Baker’s 66th birthday.