Already on li.st? Open in app.
Words of encouragement from Black Mountain College artists and educators, from constructive to inspirational to abstract. http://bit.ly/218d3MD
- •"Don't fight forces, use them." - Buckminster Fuller
- •"Our world goes to pieces. We have to rebuild our world." - Anni Albers
- •"Education is not preparation for life; education is life itself." - John Dewey
Some lovey-dovey quotes from some of our favorite contemporary creators. Feel free to filch for extra points with the art lover in your life. http://bit.ly/1VQyY9L
- •"The heart is a museum, filled with the exhibits of a lifetime's loves." - Diane Ackerman
- •"Love is the greatest refreshment in life." - Pablo Picasso
- •"Love involves a peculiar unfathomable combination of understanding and misunderstanding." - Diane Arbus
The Dubai-based collaborators combine everyday objects with their own artworks and those of other artists in sincere and probing assemblages. For "The Birthday Party", their first major U.S. museum exhibition, they chose works by Louise Bourgeois, Jimmy De Sana and Ree Morton. Some of the materials they transported from Dubai to pair with them are:
- •Campbell's Soup can candle
- •Two sets of bird dresses
- •Two gardening forks
A patron of the arts; a confidante, friend and lover to the modern masters; and a dedicated and ambitious art collector, Peggy Guggenheim was larger than life.
- •Peggy Guggenheim had no art history background.
- •Peggy's father, Ben Guggenheim, died tragically on the RMS Titanic. He gave his life vest away.
- •A black sheep of her family, with a love for shock, Peggy shaved off her eyebrows in high school. This rebellious act was considered so avant-garde it became a trend.