Top 10 Best Fictional A.I.s
Whether they're good or evil, science fiction sure does love its A.I.s...
- •K-2SO from "Rogue One: A Star Wars Story"K-2SO (aka the best character in the film) is kind of a smart-mouthed jerk but he's just so loveable! Besides, if you had to risk your life alongside a bunch of people you'd never met before, you'd be a little cranky too.
- •JARVIS from the Marvel Cinematic UniverseAnother member of the "snarky but loyal robot sidekick" category. He may not measure up to the original flesh and blood Jarvis (RIP Agent Carter) but he's still great. He also became the Vision eventually, which is neat.
- •K9 from "Doctor Who" and "The Sarah Jane Adventures"Every space traveller should have a cute robot dog helping them out. K9 hasn't appeared much in the revival series but he was a main character on "The Sarah Jane Adventures" where he saved the world from a black hole and the moon, among other things.
- •Roy Batty from "Blade Runner"One of the most iconic movie robots and speaker of one of the most iconic movie speeches. He's motivated, sympathetic, and threatening: everything that makes a great villain.
- •BMO from "Adventure Time"BMO is just straight up adorable. Sure, they accidentally caused a robot apocalypse in one of the spin off comics, but they are mostly just content to play make believe and entertain Finn and Jake with video games. And did I mention they're probably the first gender fluid character in a kids' show? I think that's pretty cool.
- •The Laputan robots from "Castle in the Sky"This is one of my favourite movies of all time and at least 50% of that is due to the GIANT FLYING ROBOTS! Not only do they have a great design, but they're selfless and always respect nature. These are definitely some robots that I'd want to be friends with.
- •R2-D2 and C-3PO from Star WarsI doubt that any fictional robot is more iconic than this dynamic duo. C-3PO can admittedly be kind of an annoyance sometimes but really, he's just trying his best. R2 is a winning combination of adorable and determined. If he had functioning arms he would probably fight everyone in these movies and win.
- •Marvin from "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"Marvin may be a fairly one note character, but that doesn't change the fact that he is the most iconic part of the "Hitchhiker's" series. If you've ever had a bad day or felt like the whole universe was against you, then you can relate to this enjoyably cynical automaton.
- •HAL 9000 from "2001: A Space Odyssey"Computers have never been so creepy. HAL starts off seeming friendly enough but it soon becomes clear that he is not only willing to kill anyone who gets in the way of his mission, but he has the means to do so. Honestly the HAL segments of "2001" make for a pretty effective horror movie. There aren't a lot of things scarier than being trapped on a spaceship that's controlled by a supercomputer who wants you dead.
- •Crow T. Robot and Tom Servo from "Mystery Science Theater 3000"Sorry, Joel, Mike, and Jonah, but the real stars of MST3k will always be the 'Bots. I can never pick a favourite out of these two. Tom may be the better singer and have more class, but Crow is such a hilarious wild card that I can't help but love him. They're incredibly funny, have great designs, and are as close to being brothers as two robots are going to get. In the "best fictional AI" contest, these guys are the clear winners!