WHY THE SHOOTING AT THE COLORADO SPRINGS PLANNED PARENTHOOD IS AN ATTACK ON ALL OF US
NO ONE SHOULD HAVE TO RISK THEIR LIVES TO GET AFFORDABLE HEALTHCARE. The more these locations are attacked, the more women will avoid them, and avoid the incredibly necessary services they provide.
- •Women risk their lives every time they need to take important steps to stay healthy.Planned Parenthood provides nearly 400,000 Pap tests and nearly 500,000 breast exams each year, critical services in detecting cancer.
- •Men and women have to risk their lives to get HIV and STD testing.Planned Parenthood provides nearly 4.5 million tests and treatments for sexually transmitted infections, including 700,00 HIV tests.
- •Women have to risk their lives to take preventative measures for unwanted pregnancies.Parenthood services help prevent approximately 516,000 unintended pregnancies each year.
- •People living in poverty are forced to risk their lives every time they need health services.79% of Planned Parenthood patients live at or below 150% of the federal poverty level.
- •If it forces the center to close, it will leave local young people without vital education.Planned Parenthood affiliates provide educational programs and outreach to 1.5 million young people and adults each year.
- •You, more than likely, know someone who is risking their life to visit a Planned Parenthood Center.One in five women in the U.S. has visited a Planned Parenthood health center at least once in her life.