SLEIGHT, PT. 1
We made a feature film this summer and it's premiering at Sundance in January 2016. Here are some things. I'm compiling a longer list of things.
- •It stars Jacob Latimore, Seychelle Gabriel, Storm Reid, Sasheer Zamata, Cameron Esposito, and Dulé Hill.
- •It looks like this.
- •It's about this.
- •It's a blend of all the shit we love: sci-fi, streetwear, LA, card magic, diversity, and (regardless of the synopsis) non-heteronormative hero's journeys.
- •Our protagonist, Bo, is a "black kid in a hoodie". This image has been both victimized and vilified, so it's been fun to take this piece of social iconography and reappropriating it. Bo is a savvy, street magician with an engineer's mind.
- •We partnered with our friend Zach (of FONTAINE CARDS). Zach is leading a sub-culture in the card/magic world that is so much more related to skateboarding than it is magic. He's the best. Just look: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GeGs2a0MUds
- •With the movie being a bit of a love letter to LA, we wanted our characters to wear brands that represent this city the best - so obviously Bo wears @thehundreds.
- •We shot in 17 days all across LA on the Alexa w/ Kowa Anamorphics.
- •Alex, my co-writer, found out his wife was pregnant on our last day of shooting.
- •Our first sound guy never showed up on Day 1.