THAT REALLY GRINDS MY GEARS
Alternately: "An Airing of Petty Grievances"
- •Emo-revivalMy issues isn't with the bands. I like The Hotelier, Into It. Over It, The World Is A Beautiful Place..., etc just fine. My issue is that the bands I listened to 10-15 years ago, the ones that serve as a direct line to the aforementioned bands (Get Up Kids, Hot Rod Circuit, pre-stardom Fall Out Boy) not only weren't critically acclaimed, they were critically ridiculed or, worse, ignored. While we are lauding Sunny Day Real Estate and Modern Baseball, how about lauding what came in between?
- •FingernailsCome home to find that my upstairs neighbor did some nail trimming out on their porch today and just let those clippings become a victim to gravity's cruel ways. Or brushed them between the planks right onto my porch.
- •DishwasherBroke on Saturday. Fixed today. Not the issue. The issue? I'm not sure the maintenance guy needed to leave parts on the floor in my living room as I don't normally keep my dishwasher between the table and the ottoman. At least he's not a super creepy guy, a la the locksmith in "Broad City." Oh wait...maybe they're his fingernails?
- •LiberryHow are you going to have zero copies of "Slouching Towards Bethlehem" available anywhere in the city but 3 separate Joel Osteen books at my branch alone, DC Public Library?
- •MetroTaking the subway for me is like Liz Lemon with Dennis Duffy. It's easy, it's convenient, it doesn't expect much from you, and then as soon as you get comfortable, it does something so stupid that you swear it off forever only to find yourself riding the train/dating a loser again in two weeks.
- •TouronsTourist morons (or moron tourists). Don't tell me you've never been to DC in your life (and you're at least 60) and then shoot down the suggestions I and a colleague offer to you (after you ASKED US) of places you should go, only to say you really came to see Archie Bunker's chair because it "means a lot" to you. (???)