Dating - Advice from a Christian dad
The following are tips I've learned when I was dating before marriage, watching my friends and observations of those around me through the years. My list contains my opinions and in no way casts judgement on anyone that chooses to not follow these ideas.
- •BE HONEST WITH YOURSELFDon't try to convince yourself that it can work when warning flags are popping up.
- •TRUST GODSounds so simple and difficult at the same time. Our emotions are not a reliable indicator, our source of truth needs to remain firmly rooted in God and His word.
- •LEAD/FOLLOWWhat path are they leading you down? Are they following you to better place?
- •GROWING?Are you growing in your relationship with Christ as a byproduct of this relationship?
- •INSPIRED?Are you inspired by what you see in them?
- •SET BOUNDARIESBe sure to set boundaries with each other early in the relationship. If you both agree on where the line is for physical intimacy then it's easier to say "no" in the heat of the moment. Hand-holding, hugs, kissing, long embraces? Once you are physically intimate it becomes harder to break things off if the relationship is not heading towards marriage. Even if you are heading towards marriage, save sex for the marriage bed. Trust built now with each other will pay dividends in the future.
- •KEEP CLOSE WITH FRIENDSYour friends can be good counsel during a relationship. They know you best and may be able to spot things that you might be looking past. They are not the sole determining factor but do keep you accountable.