WHY I SAY I GREW UP IN VENTURA COUNTY RATHER THAN THOUSAND OAKS
Both are accurate, but the latter would be more precise.
- •Sick of explaining that Thousand Oaks is NOT in the valley.It's in Ventura County, and the area code is 805, not 818.
- •Ventura County -- beaches and aging hippies! Thousand Oaks -- Amgen and the Oaks Mall (recently rebranded as just 'The Oaks').
- •Suburb anxiety: saying Ventura County obscures just how suburban my upbringing was. I could be from a ranch in Ojai! Or the streets of Oxnard!
- •My sister gets mad when I say T.O. She claims that technically our parents' house is in Westlake Village.No.
- •Northern Californians dgaf anyway; they only understand LA, basically-LA, and not-LA.I love 'em but their hatred of LA is the worst part of their personalities. Sometimes I just tell them I'm from LA.
- •I mean, Thousand Oaks is in the CONEJO Valley, sure. That is not THE valley.
- •So stop saying that I'm 'from the valley.' Not that there's anything wrong with being from the valley!
- •It's just not correct.You are thinking of Sherman Oaks.