15 REASONS I'M HAPPY
I was laid off in June (welcome to LA!), so I'm going through a tough time professionally (and, as a result, emotionally). So now I'm really getting to know myself - for good and bad - and I'm figuring stuff out.
- 1.Law & Order: SVUThis show is on all day every day and it's the best background noise for pretty much my whole day. Also I never remember who is guilty.
- 2.SleepI knew this before, but I really get it now. You know how when you wake up you really wish you could stay in bed. I can do that now.
- 3.Rainy DaysThese are rare in LA and I miss them, especially because they always make me feel A-OK about staying in bed all day.
- 4.My MomWe've been through a lot of bad times (I'm a champion brat), but we have to make an effort now to see each other so I try not to be cranky. Also she's going to keep me off skid row when my money runs out. Bless her.
- 5.I know. I know. Everyone hates it. But it lets me continue to feel connected to the outside world. I'd be going crazy without it.
- 6.StrangersNot all of them - NOT the guy who spit on me twice. But as I start to meet people who are not in the entertainment industry, I'm impressed with how generous and friendly people can be. I really hope it rubs off on me.
- 7.Matt BellassaiI so look forward to his saucy "Whine About It Wednesdays." I want to be BFFs with him.
- 8.Cat AgentThere's a Tumblr called Cat Agent - a comic about a cat who is an agent to the cats of celebrities. He doesn't have many followers so I worry he'll go away and it's just adorable.
- 9.Donny & MarieMy cats. Of course.
- 10.Scrabble/Words with FriendsAnother way that I feel connected to friends and family - several of whom aren't on Facebook. Also there's nothing quite so delightful as playing two 100+ point words in one day. That was a good day.
- 11.Bubble BathsI go days without showering but I LOVE my bathtub. I can watch TV from it. Enough said.
- 12.The BasicsI've got an apartment, a car, food, clothes, wine, cable, healthy friends & family, and a safety net (thanks, Mom!) and I know not everyone is so lucky.
- 13.FREE TIMEI'm volunteering now and applying to grad school and making lists like this one. These are all things I wouldn't have had time for while doing my former job.
- 14.Manicure RemovalI'm torn on this one but I should be honest. Once my gel manicure starts to chip, I'm obsessed with picking it off. It's gross and bad for my nails but so weirdly rewarding.
- 15.UncertaintyI've got no idea where I'll end up or how bad it will get before it gets better BUT I will do all I can to make this job loss the best thing that's ever happened to me. And the uncertainty is definitely better than the certainty of going to a job I hate every day making money for people who don't deserve it.