Great Breakfast Cereal Combos
As a child, I was permitted only three boxes at any one time. Now, as a putative grown-up, I can curate infinity boxes of cereal. So mixing has become common.
- •Kashi "Honey Sunshine" and Nature's Path "Heritage Flakes"The flakes, having about 3kg of fiber per portion, are a bit sawdusty. And the honey squares are a bit cloying and puffy. As with any good marriage, the union nullifies individual flaws.
- •Kashi "Autumn Wheat" with GranolaAutumn Wheat is like shredded wheat, only with deeper flavor. But the texture is the same monotonous frizzy-ness. I find that a small amount of granola acts as inter-frizzal grout, adding much-needed diversity.
- •Anything with Cocoa KrispiesA framing device. A "wash". Background color and background flavor.
- •Cheerios and Corn FlakesWhat I'm going for here is primarily textural. The milk-molten flakes, which are from Venus, add connective whimsy to the Lego-like O's, which are from Mars. The flavor is delightfully low-rent multigrain.
- •Special K With Freeze-Dried Strawberries and Rice ChexSpecial K is engineered for textural complexity. Likewise Rice Chex. The two together make for polyrhythmic molar music - a sugary sonata appreciated via bone induction. The genius part is using not just Special K, but Special K With Freeze-Dried Strawberries. This piles on still greater textural counterpoint (from the weirdly astronautic fruit), while injecting gobs of bright berry flavor.