My favorite whatever game experiences I played in 2016.
I get paid to write about video games so I've played a lot of them this year. Here is my list of my favorite games I've played this year. Note, this isn't the best games...but the ones I've found myself playing over and over.
- •Telltale's BatmanIn reality, Telltale's Batman follows the same basic gameplay ideas that everyone of the studio's games have for years but everything from the look to the gameplay are a perfect fit for The Dark Knight. More importantly though, it's a perfect fit for Bruce Wayne. No game has ever gotten the dual personalities this right before.
- •Ratchet and ClankI've always loved video games, but there was a time in late middle school/early high school where I decided I was too cool (or maybe it was my girlfriend at the time). As a result I missed the whole 3D platforming boom and Sony's PS4 reboot of Ratchet and Clank felt like payback for that. Mechanically, it's as good as any platformer on the market and it's so full of heart that it's impossible not to smile while playing it.
- •HitmanSquare Enix's episodic take on Hitman wasn't supposed to work, but holy damn did it. Getting rid of the flaws and transgressions from previous games, the series returns to the franchises' core mechanics and gives players huge playgrounds to unlock their most sick and twisted ideas. So much replay value in such a cheap package.
- •OwlboyPlenty of games try to tug at your heart strings by looking like The games from your childhood but few succeed to the level that Owlboy does. It's fun, smart and challenging, everything I wanted when I was sneaking down to the living room to play Super Nintendo for games like this.
- •Uncharted 4Nathan Drake is the reason I bought a PS4 when I had no money and was eating ramen every night in College. Not only was this a fitting conclusion for the story of his world, it's perhaps the most fun game in the series yet. That car chase scene though...
- •Titanfall 2In a year where the two biggest shooter franchises in gaming released new games, Titanfall 2 stands tall. Remarkably tight shooting combined with fun platforming that no other shooter would dare to even try. The relationship between BT and Jack Cooper is one of the most interesting and fun and i hope we get to see more of it.
- •DestinyLook, I know, Destiny technically came out last year but that game and the game available today are two completely different experiences and I can't recommend it enough. I've tried to quit Destiny, multiple times but I always come back. I wish I knew how to quit you Destiny. Screw it, no I don't.