COMPONENTS OF MY DREAM HOUSE
I have had this list for too long.
- •Rooftop garden.With herbs and vine fruits, so I can tell my children to "go grab a few sprigs of thyme from the roof."
- •Stairs with a slide.Going down stairs is a lot of work.
- •Light switch and water faucet next to my bed.This is a boring one but I hate when you're all snug in bed and you have to get up to turn off the light or get water before you sleep. Screw that.
- •Secret rooms hidden in each bedroom.My friend had a secret playroom behind a bookcase in his house and even though there was only a blanket and some old toys inside, it was the coolest thing ever. I want my kids to have that. These would also be useful in case of Nazis.
- •High, interesting ceilings.I think there should be more ceiling art in the world. Painted skies, murals, patterns, whatever--just make it feel like I'm in Hogwarts.
- •The perfect reading nook.Duh.
- •One of those bridal shop-style mirror areas with a pedestal.I have no idea what you call these, but they're in most stores with fancy clothing. You stand on a pedestal and look tall and beautiful and can see yourself from a bunch of different angles. I want that.
- •Bath overlooking the sea.In this scenario, there's a huge window looking out over the ocean that I can see out of but no one else can see into.
- •Bedroom or study overlooking a forest.I realize this is tricky in conjunction with the last one. Work with me here, it's a dream house.
- •A wall of records and a big ol' record player.I like records as art. They are underutilized in decor.
- •Chutes.I was always resentful of my mom for not installing laundry chutes in our house. I want those, I want a compost chute, I want a recycling chute, I want all kinds of chutes. ALL KINDS.
- •A stained glass window.Why don't more houses have stained glass murals?? They are so cool!!
- •A circular library with a wheeled ladder.If I don't feel like Belle, I'm not interested.
- •Tortoise. Courtyard.Ok this one is the weirdest. I want a large glass encased courtyard with giant tortoises lumbering around it. My goal would be for a "Land Before Time" vibe--I would adopt the tortoises as babies and then they would grow up to lumber around, chewing lettuce near my ankles while I read fantasy novels on a wooden bench next to them.