Fake Musicals I Wish Were Real!
🎼if you were really real I'd be real haaaaaaaaappy🎶
- •Bonnie & Clyde: The MusicalThis is featured at the end of the C+ film Stuck on You, starring Siamese twin halfsy Greg Kinnear as an aspiring actor who lands the part of Clyde to none other than Meryl Streep's Bonnie in the fake Broadway comedy. I love La Streep's high-pitched Bonnie! Makes me giggle. Can't imagine listening to that for two acts, but for Mer-bear, I'd suffer willingly. Here's a clip: http://youtu.be/6lqKI4JnErM
- •Hamlet 2No one could ever pull off a musical sequel to Hamlet in which a time machine affects the lives and deaths of the main characters, including the newest addition to the cast, Jesus H. Christ...or could they? Click here to watch a regrettably short clip of the hilarious hit song from the original show, "Rock Me Sexy Jesus": http://youtu.be/UzwJTOogKyc
- •Trivial Pursuit: The MusicalUnfortunately, there's never a flashback to Jenna Marone's performance in the barely seen musical version of the classic board game, but considering how Jenna is my favorite character and trivial pursuit is one of my favorite games, I really wish this 30 Rock pipe dream was real.
- •BombshellThe success didn't last long, but the first season of Smash on NBC managed to have some worthwhile moments - and most of those were the musical numbers. I found myself longing for a cast album at least - then voila! My prayers were answered! Click here to watch a poorly taped live concert version of Bombshell with both Katherine McPhee and the incredible Megan Hilty (I prefer The National Pasttime and History Is Made At Night myself): http://youtu.be/-fVLrPjeA6Q
- •Planet of the ApesThe Simpsons. Nuff said. Clip featuring the song Dr. Zaius: http://youtu.be/JlmzUEQxOvA
- •Streetcar!The Simpsons. Ditto. Clip featuring the song "Oh, Streetcar!": http://youtu.be/fVmBtNaDXQg
- •Hurt LockerYES I did see it three times (with JCM, MCH, and NPH) and YES they did include a very real Playbill for the very fake musical referenced in Hedwig based on the 2008 Oscar Winner for Best Picture. Songs include: Baghdad Mornin' (Hello Hazmat), Call Me After Call to Prayer, What's With All These Goats?, When Love Explodes (Love Theme From Hurt Locker), Kevlar and Keffiyah, The Humvee with the Roof-Mounted Machine Gun on Top, Your Body Is The Bomb (Literally), and Can't Camouflage Love.
- •Drawn Together: The MusicalGwyneth Paltrow as Princess Clara, random girl as Ling-Ling, Ling-Ling as Judge Fudge? Yes, ma'am yes, ma'am! Link to the episode: http://youtu.be/upq-dtIlMDw
- •Mr. G"Annabelle Dixon-when girls take drugs, and then they die, who woulda thought at Summer Heights High? On days like these it's a bummer heights high" "She's a slut and she knows it. She wants to root all the boys. She can't help taking the drugs on a Saturday night. She can't help being a slut on a Saturday night!" "She's a party girl with a bad habit, bad habit for drugs! She's a naughty girl with a bad habit, bad habit for drugs!" Clip: http://youtu.be/YPrYKpt2oOI
- •Red, White, and BlaineWaiting for Guffman (1996) chronicles the creation of a musical telling the history of the fictional town of Blaine, Missouri. If you haven't seen this one and/or love Christopher Guest (dir. of This Is Spinal Tap and Best In Show), do yourself a favor. Clip featuring the song "Nothing Ever Happens on Mars": http://youtu.be/RxxmLuVF4MM. Clip featuring the song "A Penny For Your Thoughts": http://youtu.be/-JX5VWHWkW8
- •Black Plague: A Love StoryPenny from Happy Endings has penned a musical play! Clete is the very attractive well-meaning young man who's about to ask the love of his life to marry him, until the evil malignant foe of love, the Black Plague, destroys the earnest heart of the unsuspecting Clete. Here's a clip featuring showstoppers like "I Feel So Blue-bonic," "Pandemic of the Heart," and "The Black Plague Will Rise Again" : http://youtu.be/Y1Fr3TS7MhI
- •Electro/CityLike Kristin Wiig said, "Electro City is such a cruel place to live!" A sizzling musical like only Camp Firewood could bring you, Electro City's got it all, directed by Claude Dumet and Susie, produced by Ben, with choreography by Rhonda. And that lift at the end! I mean did you see that? Clip featuring the song "Zoot Suit" with Bradley Cooper and Michael Ian Black: http://youtu.be/MeqhUED_tvU. Audio of "Heart Attack of Love" audition song: http://youtu.be/xwpMYWLRIVY