Be Careful Out There!
There have been a number of fatal car accidents locally and the needless loss of life has moved me to write.
- •1. Try not to get angry at other drivers.I've been the teenager with the fast car, too much testosterone, and too little judgement. Try not to get angry with him when, not if, he does something dumb. Let it go & hope he grows up. Keep your eyes open and give him wide berth.
- •2. Try not to get angry at other drivers.I've been the dad who hasn't slept for 36 hours because his child is in the hospital a month after he came home from China. I might screw up despite my best efforts because I 'm exhausted.
- •3. Try not to get angry at other driversI've been the dad with kids screaming or vomiting in the back seat. It's a test. Some handle it better than others.
- •4. Put your phone away.Plug it into the charger and put it in airplane mode when you get in the car. It'll charge more quickly and you won't be distracted with texts, calls, or email.
- •5. Be polite.If someone is trying to merge, let them. If you're walking into a building and you wouldn't slam the door in someone's face, do the same while driving.
- •6. Don't tailgateIt's dangerous. Keep 3 seconds between yourself and the car in front of you. That way, if they do something dumb, you have time to react appropriately.
- •7. Don't be afraid to use your directional signals.Making your intentions clear will help keep problems to a minimum and will keep you from looking dumb.
- •8. Avoid road rage like the plague.Don't get mad. Just don't. If someone on the road loses their mind, try to make peace & if that doesn't work, get out of the situation. Find s public place, a cop, whatever. Just keep your wits and remember that all you really need to do is get home in one piece. Being right means nothing if you're dead.
- •9 . Be nice to elder drivers.Someday, if you're lucky, you too could be a blue hair rolling low and slow to Wallgreens. Just let them be.