Our 6 1/2 year old golden retriever
- •Finch is NOT named for Atticus Finch.No disrespect. Just other reasons.
- •Finch IS named Finch because...
- •The goldfinch is the state bird of Washington, where I grew up.A previous golden, Salish, also had a name that was a nod to the Evergreen state, but that goofy dog is a whole other story.
- •Goldfinches are, you know, gold.Like a golden. Get it?
- •The goldfinch is the golden retriever of birds.Social, adaptable, delightful, charming, fun. Except I don't think birds eat cheese.
- •Our twins were 9 when Finch joined our family, and we hardcore sold the name Finch.So we wouldn't end up with SparkleTinkleFairySpiderman. Nine year olds should love dogs, not name them.
- •Other things about Finch and her name(s)...
- •Finch is a girl. He. Is. A. Girl.Okay, Gram?!
- •Finch also answers to "Poodle."I dunno. It cracks us up.
- •We also call her Poots von Toots.Though we are not Dutch and she's not particularly farty. I dunno.
- •Recent text to my husband so he would know I had walked Finch:🐩+👣🐾=💩💩💤
- •He is the best worst golden evah!He. Is. A. GIRL.