Steps to follow when crossing an unmarked road
that means there's no pedestrian crossing or traffic control lights....on a two way street or road
- 1.Pause and stop at the side of the road.Stay a good meter away from the curb.
- 2.Look left for on coming trafficTake note of the vehicle distances.
- 3.Look right for on coming traffic from the other directionTake note also on vehicles and distances also.
- 4.Look left againQuickly refresh yourself of any vehicles seen initially.
- 5.Assess whether all vehicles are far enough or the roads are completely clearBetter to assess again if not sure and start from step one. This is all done quite quickly so don't worry about the effort. It's for your own safety.
- 6.Once you think it's safe, start crossing the road.
- 7.While crossing, make sure to glance left first for any surprise on coming vehicles.Quick glance to see if any vehicles were not noticed before. In case you need to step back quickly.
- 8.As you nearly halfway across the road glance to the right for on coming vehiclesQuick glance in case there are unnoticed vehicles heading towards you.
- 9.You may need to stop in the centre of the road in case 2nd half of the road suddenly has vehicles on coming.Not preferred to be standing in the middle of a road but better to be safe.
- 10.Always glance left and right, as often as possible while crossingSing the song in your head, "look left, look right, look left again". Repeat.
- 11.AVOID: talking on your mobile phone when crossing any road in any situation with or without pedestrian crossings.Safety first. Best to put the phone away in your pocket. Just tell the person you talking to, to hold on for a few seconds.
- 12.AVOID: being a risk taker by trying to cross the road with vehicles very close by.It's a test you might fail.
- 13.AVOID: getting distracted by anything like staring at advertisement boards or talking to others without assessing the road safety.Remember the Final Destination movies?