9 REASONS TO WATCH MERCY STREET
New PBS drama, Mercy Street goes behind the front lines of the Civil War into the chaotic world of the Mansion House Hospital in Union-occupied Alexandria, Virginia.
- •The story of Mercy Street was inspired from Mary Phinney Von Olnhausen's "Adventures of an Army Nurse in Two Wars."
- •The intersection of North and South in a small town during the Civil War creates a rich and conflicted environment.
- •The medical procedures and life of the times were extensively researched and executed to ensure historical accuracy.
- •Mercy Street weaves many moving stories into the plot, one of them being the beginning of female nursing in America.
- •The cast is composed of seasoned actors and actresses including: Josh Radnor, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Shalita Grant, McKinley Belcher III, AnnaSophia Robb and more.
- •There are clips and teacher's guides associated with each episode at pbslearningmedia.org. The collection brings together a diverse set of resources to consider the causes, context, and course of the Civil War.
- •The show's themes and story are relevant to American audiences right now.
- •The show will be airing Sunday nights at 9PM, right after Downton Abbey.
- •The Washington Post, The Salt Lake Tribune, and USA Today have all shared positive reviews about the show.