BEST FOOD I GREW UP ON
The South has its pros and cons. A pro: food. I'm generally a healthy eater but I can't turn down these childhood classics.
- •Chicken and dumplings.Bonus points if your grandmother makes them with homemade chicken stock.
- •Fried green tomatoes.Happiness fried. Always add Tabasco or Crystal.
- •Grits and grillades.Gouda grits + roast beef and veggies = heaven.
- •Black eyed peas.+ ham hock
- •Fried pickles.As if pickles couldn't get better.
- •Fresh berries and homemade cream.
- •Butter gooeys.Basically a butter tart.
- •Mom's gumbo.Gotta be your mamas
- •Corn bread.Sweet with jalapeños
- •Cherry limeades.My grandma used to fresh squeeze limes and make simple syrup with maraschino cherries.
- •Farmers market squash.
- •Fresh tomatoes with salt and pepper.My step dad's patients give us flats (big crates of tomatoes) from their farm as a thank you sometimes.