FAVORITE INDIAN DISHES
My husband is from India, and over the years I have tried quite a bit of Indian food. Here are some of my favorite things to order.
- •Chana BhaturaA puffed, fried crepe-like dough with a savory and spicy chickpea dish that you dip into. Fairly unhealthy, but so, so good.
- •Masala DosaA savory crepe filled with a spiced potato and onion filling.
- •VadapavBasically a deep fried, spicy potato ball in a bun. Great with ketchup. This is their equivalent of a NY hot dog.
- •Saag PaneerA classic favorite. Creamy spinach with cubes of fresh white cheese (paneer).
- •Mango LassiOkay, not a dish, but it's so yummy. A yogurt-based smoothie flavored with mango, and sometimes rosewater, sugar, or salt.
- •Aloo GobiA savory and mildly spicy potato and cauliflower dish.
- •Gulab JamunA common dessert dish. In my opinion, it is basically pancake balls in a sweet, rosewater syrup.