Top Ten Christian Books
I got an encouraging letter in the mail today from an old friend and at the end she asked for my top ten Christian books. I realized I'd never made that list! I figured it out, sent it to her, and now I'm sharing it here. Listed in alphabetical order by author. (I limited myself to one entry per author, otherwise this would've been impossible.)
- 1.Confessions by St. AugustineRaw and real. A classic.
- 2.Valley of Vision by Arthur Bennett (editor)It's a tiny book of Puritan prayers. The language is gorgeous and poetic, and the content is deep. Excellent for use as a devotional.
- 3.The Cost of Discipleship by Dietrich BonhoefferI love Bonhoeffer. This book examines what it really looks like to follow Christ.
- 4.Let Me Be a Woman by Elisabeth ElliotElisabeth Elliot is a hero. She wrote a lot of amazing books, but this is the one I've returned to most often. It's written as a letter to her daughter who's about to get married and talks about biblical womanhood.
- 5.The Reason for God by Tim KellerKeller addresses lots of the major objections to Christianity. I've read this multiple times and recommended it a ton.
- 6.Mere Christianity by CS LewisIt's very hard to pick a favorite Lewis book! I've read this one more times than any of his others though, so it's gotta be the one.
- 7.The Mortification of Sin by John OwenProbably the most convicting book on this list. It's tiny but packs a huge punch.
- 8.Knowing God by JI PackerIt does just what the title says! This is a great book for getting to know the character of God.
- 9.God is the Gospel by John PiperPicking just one Piper book was hard also. This is a smaller one that gets to the heart of what the good news is.
- 10.A Severe Mercy by Sheldon VanaukenThe memoir of a man recounting his love story with his wife and their conversion from atheism to Christianity. Warning: you'll cry!