BEST BOOKS BY WOMEN AUTHORS I'VE READ THIS YEAR
The definitive list of books by female writers that I've read this year (a few are perennial favorites I re-read regularly) Please feel free to add your own!
- •Sharp Objects by Gillian FlynnI know everyone is crazy about Gone Girl, but for me Sharp Objects is the best of Ms. Flynn's work. While reading this thriller I couldn't sleep with the lights off, only slightly drove my boyfriend crazy.
- •The Paying Guests by Sarah WatersThere was something incredibly satisfying to me in this book full of deeply flawed and highly unlikable characters and their attempt to cover up a murder.
- •The Interestings by Meg WolitzerI've rarely read a book where you see both the completely selfish and self-less natures of individuals taking place in a completely realistic NYC.
- •Alanna: The First Adventure by Tamora PierceThis will be the first book I shove into the hands of my children the second they can read. But really, Alanna is the OG Katniss.
- •Life After Life by Kate AtkinsonA complicated to read book (I recommend reading a physical book, not a digital copy) but totally worth it. If you like WWII, fantasy elements, and have siblings this is the book for you.
- •Me Before You by Jojo MoyesI cried like a baby reading this beautiful love story. My poor boyfriend was just trying to shoot bad guys on his Xbox and I was turning into a snot monster on the couch.
- •Big Little Lies by Liane MoriartyCan you tell I like thrillers and female protagonists? A satisfying story about tangled families and the secrets that hide inside of marriages.