ABOUT SALLY RIDE
I once met Sally Ride at a tennis club in San Diego. I asked her what it felt like to be named dropped in "We Didn't Start the Fire" and she told me "it would probably feel a lot more satisfying if Billy hadn't rhymed my name with suicide". Sally Ride is my hero.
- •First American woman in space.American womannnnn! 🎶
- •Former doubles partner of the legendary Billie Jean King.
- •Youngest American austronaut to ever be in space.
- •Was a total bad ass.
- •Went to Stanford- while there she read in the student paper about a call from NASA for astronauts. 8000 answered the call, 35 were selected, 6 were women, and 1 was Sally Ride.
- •Logged over 343 hours in space.
- •Retired from NASA in '87.
- •Continued to be a total bad ass.
- •Wrote children's books and started her own organization, Sally Ride Science- all aimed at encouraging young girls to pursue careers in science and mathematics.
- •Added to the Astronaut Hall of Fame in 2003.
- •3 years ago Sally passed away at age 61 after a 17 month battle with pancreatic cancer.
- •Obama called her a National Hero. He was right.
- •Google recently made this amazing tribute to her, and I Instagrammed the shit out of it.
- •Wheel of Fortune,Sally Ride, heavy metal, suicide, foreign debts, homeless vets, AIDS, crack, Bernie Goetz, Hypodermics on the shores, China's under martial law Rock and roller cola wars, I can't take it anymore!!!