Meals I would consider having for my last meal
In a previous list I wondered whether some sketchy activity i noticed in a Chic Fil A parking lot would result in my murder & whether my last meal would be fast food chicken. @justjills suggested we explore best last meals.
- •Conch & grits from Daniel's Cafe in Turks and CaicosWhen I ate there for breakfast more than 16 years ago, it was just a little shack of a house. Literally a house. He cooked in the kitchen & we ate in the living room. I'm not sure it was even a legit restaurant then. The conch & grits were legit, though. I still dream about them. And if I'm having a last meal on Turks and Caicos, I could think of worse places to die.
- •Beet Salad from Bobby Flay's Gato in NYCI wish I had taken a pic of this salad, but after I had that first bite there was no stopping me. I could eat salad every day of my life. I could eat this salad twice a day.
- •My dad's "country breakfast".Dad was always the Saturday breakfast chef, and every time we go home, we make him fix it for us. We'll likely be wheeling him from his nursing home bed & into the kitchen when he's 90. Fluffy buttermilk biscuits, homemade gravy, eggs however you want them & bacon or sausage (or both). My salivary glands just exploded.
- •JR's pastulMy friend JR is from Orissa, India. (Well, Orissa when he lived there - Odisha now.) he makes these pockets of perfection - filled with ground turkey, potato, curry, and some kind of beautiful magic. He caters on the side, so I buy these sometimes for book club, potlucks, or me.
- •Giordano's PizzaIt's Chicago's famous stuffed deep dish pizza. It's life changing. Lucky for us, they ship.
- •Home grown tomatoesSliced & sprinkled with sea salt and freshly ground peppers. Or better yet, sandwiched in a buttermilk biscuit with a smattering of mayonnaise.
- •Baskin & Robbins Jamoca Almond Fudge ice cream.I've tried all the flavors, but I always come back to this. I could eat buckets of it.
- •This meal just happened, and I HAD to add it. Best shrimp I've had in my life.Beaufort, SC