Things I Miss About Homeschooling
My girls are in public school now. We love it, but I do wax nostalgia sometimes for the "good old days".
- •Learning stuff.When I was in school, it was drudgery. Drama and band were the only classes I truly enjoyed (geek alert!🤓). Homeschooling gave me the opportunity to learn all kinds of things - and it was actually enjoyable this time around.
- •Reading aloud.They had individual reading time. But at some point in the day we huddled on the couch or in bed and I read to them. My favorites were Chronicles of Narnia, wrinkle in Time, and anything Roald Dahl.
- •PJsSchool uniform pretty much.
- •Hanging out with my girls.Having conversations with them throughout the day, and being there to see them "get" a subject were priceless moments for me.
- •Sleeping late-ish.While I liked getting school started by 8:30, it was still nice not to have to wake up at 6:15 each morning to whisk them off somewhere.
- •Flexible travel.I probably miss this the most. I'm a travel writer. When we homeschooled, I could take them with me on some trips. We could take off whenever we wanted without fear of too many absences. We'd also take off and visit family for a week, or head to the beach for a "field trip" about marine life. I think it's what they miss most about homeschooling, too. 😂
- •Field trips with friends.One year, we created an unofficial co-op with some of our homeschooling friends we enjoyed hanging out with. We scheduled a field trip together every single month. It was my favorite year, I think.
- •That sweet American Girl phase when they did school with us, too.I mean, can you even?! 😭
- •Not sure what that stick of deodorant on the table's about, tho. 😂
- •What I don't miss...Being responsible for an entire school year of curriculum and constant self doubt about whether my kids are learning (they're getting pretty much straight A's in public school, so I guess I fretted over nothing!). That's pretty much it.
- •Good memories!