SMALL TOWN, USA — THE QUIRKIEST AMERICAN FESTIVALS
The weird, the wacky, the wonderful. Plan your next road trip in advance: http://bit.ly/1Hdr6wg
- •National Hollerin' ContestA NC tradition since 1969. Vocal champions are crowned in four categories — distress, functional, communicative and pleasure.
- •Humungus Fungus FestHome to the world’s largest living fungus (about 100 tons), a town in Michigan holds a yearly festival to honor it.
- •Jumping Frog JubileeOne of the longest running events in California. Since 1893, the current record jump was set in 1986 by Rosie the Ribeter who jumped over 21 feet.
- •Tall StacksHeld every few years along the Cincinnati shoreline, the Tall Stacks festival celebrates the city’s riverboat heritage.
- •Testy FestyThe week-long Montana food festival attracts more than 15,000 visitors to try Rocky Mountain Oysters, better known as bull testicles.
- •Spam JamThe Waikiki Spam Jam is an annual block party on the island of Oahu, where residents consume more spam per person than in any other state in the country.
- •Balloon FiestaThe annual Albuquerque festival features over 750 hot air balloons and is considered the largest festival of its kind in the world.
- •Woollybear FestivalThe fixation with the Woollybear Caterpillar started more than 30 years ago when an Ohio weatherman wanted to celebrate the insect’s talent in forecasting.
- •Calle OchoDown in South Florida, residents celebrate the local Hispanic culture. It even set the record for the longest Conga line back in '98!
- •Underwater Music FestivalHeld in the Florida Keys, this festival draws several hundred divers and snorkelers to enjoy the sound of music below the ocean surface.