6 THINGS TO DO IN L.A. THIS WEEKEND
- •Theater: Griffith Park Free Shakespeare FestivalFamily-friendly productions and workshops from the Independent Shakespeare Company give new meaning to a midsummer night's dream. Aug 7-8.
- •Sports: National Volleyball League West Coast ChampionshipsWatch from the sidelines as top notch volleyballers go for gold. Generational admission is free to this Hermosa Beach tournament. Aug 7-8.
- •Art: Fragonard's Enterprise: The Artist and the Literature of TravelJean-Honore Fragonard tagged along with his patron on that privileged rite of passage known as the Grand Tour, sketching landscapes. Aug 7-9, Norton Simon Museum.
- •Confabs: CicLAvia-Culver City Meets VeniceA six-mile stretch of street between Culver City and Venice will be blocked off from 9 to 4 so visitors can explore the neighborhoods on foot. Aug 9.
- •Theater: BentMartin Sherman's tale about two men who hide their relationship in Nazi Germany debuted on Broadway in 1979. Aug 7-9, Mark Taper Forum.
- •Panel: The Watts Rebellion: 50 Years LaterGerald Horne, Johnie H. Scott, and Brenda E. Stevenson discuss race on the 50tb anniversary of the rebellion. Aug 9, Hammer Museum.