CLASSIC L.A. HOTELS
This is a requested list, not in any particular order, with editorial input by our AskChris columnist Chris Nichols, who just joined The List app! Follow him @chrisnicholsla.
- •Biltmore Hotel1923 beaux arts building near Pershing Square. There's a secret swimming pool in the basement modeled after an ancient Roman bath.
- •Fairmont Miramar HotelBuilt in 1921. Many celebrities, including Jean Harlow and Marilyn Monroe, rented bungalows there when they wanted privacy.
- •Sportsman's LodgeOriginal lodge was built in once-rural Studio City in the 1880s.
- •Roosevelt HotelOpened in 1927, with its most recent renovation in 2005.Rumored to be haunted.
- •Chateau MarmontBack when Sunset was a dirt road, the Chateau was built in 1929 to attract Chicago and New York theater actors accustomed to luxurious digs. Also: earthquake-proof.
- •Beverly Hills HotelMore than 100 years old. Currently under boycott by LGBT community for owner Sultan of Brunei's anti-gay views. Polo lounge still attracts old school celebrities.