FUN FACTS ABOUT LA HISTORY
Some myths and marvels!
- •L.A. isn't a "young" city.L.A was founded on September 4, 1781, which makes it older than Washington D.C. (July 16, 1790)
- •L.A isn't a desert.Despite the heat, drought, and proximity to desert land, Los Angeles climate is more accurately described as Mediterranean. More like Greece, less like Egypt.
- •L.A. is the size of Manhattan, Boston, San Francisco, St.Louis, Cleveland, Minneapolis, and Pittsburgh combined.That's just the city--not the county. What looks like sprawl is, in part, a matter of scale: L.A. Is HUGE. Here's a visual representation.
- •A woman brought the Dodgers to L.A.Her name is Roz Wyman. She's 84. A total badass. You should meet her.
- •Autocorrect to Angelino is wrong.Microsoft Word and other smart text systems will tell you Angeleno is spelled with an i. It's not. The exception is "Angelino Heights" neighborhood.