IMPORTANT THINGS TO KNOW ABOUT COYOTES
- •Coyotes have been L.A. residents for thousands of years.Among the mammal fossils found in the La Brea Tar Pits, coyotes are third most common.
- •Coyotes are seasoned city dwellers.Unlike now-extinct dire wolves and saber-toothed cats, coyotes have flourished in the face of urban development.
- •They don't want to eat your dog.Fecal samples reveal that less than 1 percent of coyote diets include dogs or cats. They overwhelmingly prefer rodents, rabbits, and fallen fruit--not stray chihuahuas.
- •The word "coyote" is an Aztec term for "barking dog."They have 11 different types of vocalizations researchers can identify.
- •Coyotes are monogamous.They can mate for life and have "honeymoon" dens they may return to again for coyote nookie.
- •They'll outlast us.Coyotes can survive alone or in packs, can roam in the day or at night--they're one of the most adaptive creatures in nature. So be nice to your future canine overlords.