JIMMY KIMMEL'S 14 FAVORITE PLACES TO GET ITALIAN FOOD IN L.A.
Jimmy Kimmel makes his own pizza dough using a yeast starter from Ischia, his family’s ancestral home in Italy. He mills his own flour and grows his own San Marzano tomatoes. But it’s not just pizza—Jimmy Kimmel is a gastronome of the highest order. Here's where he likes to dine.
- 1.Angelini Osteria“I think my favorite Italian restaurant here is Angelini Osteria. I just like to watch them work the oven. And I love the very crisp flatbread that comes out of it. They use sparkling water in the dough, and that’s what gives it that lightness and crispiness. I also love the trofie there with the shrimp and the little cherry tomatoes."
- 2.La Sosta Enoteca“I’ve only eaten here 5,000 times. It’s very good. Their gnocchi with lobster sauce is excellent.”
- 3.Jon & Vinny’s“They have these meatballs with ricotta cheese and ciabatta. It’s fantastic. They pour heavy cream into the ricotta and mix it in to make it even heartier. Jon Shook catered my wedding. I love all of his spots.”
- 4.Giorgio Baldi“The sweet corn agnolotti at Spago is great, but I have to say, it’s second to the agnolotti with sweet corn and white truffles at Giorgio Baldi.”
- 5.Bay Cities Italian Deli“I think it’s just as good as any Italian deli in New York, and I've had people from New York say the same thing, and they're very biased, as you know. The Godmother is a classic. Often on Super Bowl Sundays I will get a huge tray of meatballs and some imported Parmesan and just huge loaves of bread, and everybody makes sandwiches. I can eat like 30 of those meatballs.”
- 6.Alimento“I had the pork shank there. It was fantastic. The fusilli with clams is great, and so is the tortellini in brodo. I love this restaurant.”
- 7.Larchmont Village Wine“They have great sandwiches—great prosciutto, their salami is great.”
- 8.Gjelina“Whatever your thoughts on Gjelina, they have great pizza. Also, the squid ink tagliolini is very good.”
- 9.Peppone’s“I always get the pasta ‘fajule,’ as we say, or 'e faglioli.' They have a giant artichoke there with broth in it, too, that’s really great.”
- 10.Terroni“I think Terroni so good and just a solid Italian restaurant. It’s just fun to eat at.”
- 11.Frankie's on Melrose“Frankie’s has good clams on the half shell. If you’re looking for an authentic New York experience, this is where to go. It’s the kind of place where you just sit at the bar and have a cocktail and eat some clams.”
- 12.Chi Spacca“I don’t even know if it counts as Italian, but you have to have the tomahawk chop there. I think they put fennel pollen on it or something so it’s sort of Italian. Anyway, it’s great.”
- 13.Eagle Rock Italian Bakery“They have the best cannoli. I order a bunch from here every Christmas Eve.”
- 14.Bestia“One of the things I like about Bestia is they have zeppole, which are really the reason I started the San Gennaro feast here. For those who don’t know it’s kind of like the Italian beignet. It’s not something you see much outside of a street fair. When they’re made right, they’re great.”