THE 5 BEST PLACES TO BUY WHISKEY IN LOS ANGELES
For when a bottle of Jim Beam just isn’t adventurous enough
- •Beverage WarehouseThis institution features the best of the current American microdistillery boom, plus a deep inventory of the more storied houses of Scotland, Tennessee, and Kentucky.
- •K&L Wine MerchantsThere’s a sense of adventure and risk at K&L—especially evident in the series of exclusive bourbons, ryes, and scotches bottled under its Faultline label. The brand’s blended scotch is a masterpiece of peat, smoke, and extreme thrift.
- •Wine and Liquor DepotWithin this grim cinderblock fortress is a world-class research library of fermented malt and grain. A single distillery might be represented by a dozen or more bottlings that stretch back almost half a century.
- •Silverlake WineSure, the store may have only about eight bottles of scotch and a smattering of American and Japanese brands, but each has been selected by a master whiskey sommelier.
- •Topline Wine & SpiritEnthusiastic salespeople take you on global whiskey excursions so engaging, you might forget you’ve merely been wandering among the metal shelves of a west Glendale warehouse. It’s a solid, if not overly broad, selection. Terrific prices, too.