TRICK OR DRINK: 10 HALLOWEEN-THEMED COCKTAILS FROM AROUND THE CITY
Some of your favorite watering holes are serving up delicious libations that will haunt your dreams.
- 1.1886's "Hob Goblet"Made with applejack, housemade pumpkin syrup, allspice dram, cinnamon, and fresh lemon juice, this creation is perfect for fall. It even comes with its own edible cobweb.
- 2.Gracias Madre's "Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice"A tequila beer cocktail run on nitro draft, it's made with Avion Reposado, Oktoberfest beer, house pumpkin cream soda, homemade artichoke liquor, and garnished with a cold brew coffee skull-shaped ice.
- 3.Chaya Downtown's "Dark and Stormy Death Punch"That lychee and cherry "eyeball" is certainly creepy but is it terrifying enough to keep you away from that mix of dark rum, lime juice, simple syrup, and ginger beer?
- 4.Los Balcones' "Final Burn"It's a play on the classic Last Word, but with mezcal and an activated charcoal garnish. Yellow chartreuse and alpine liqueur bring out the herbaceous taste of the mezcal.
- 5.The Corner Door's "Please Take One"This autumn offering is a comfy mix of peanut-infused bourbon, apple brandy, chocolate and aromatic bitters, and sugar.
- 6.EP/LP's "Black Thai Optional"It's as black as the darkest heart—but so tasty and easy to drink. The cocktail is made with lychee, gin, house-made activated coconut husk charcoal, lemon, amaro, and egg white.
- 7.Melrose Umbrella Co.'s "Pie"Sweet potato syrup mixed with butter-washed tequila creates a complex flavor and thick texture that's startlingly unique.
- 8.Osso's "The Ladies Upstairs"According to bartender Darwin Manahan, a huge earthquake in the '30s killed a number of prostitutes who lived in the rooms above the bar. Some say they still haunt the space, so Manahan created this—a mix of mezcal, blood orange, Jamaica cordial, and lime juice—to toast to their ghosts.
- 9.Spare Room's "Dr. Teeth," "Bed Sheet Ghost," & "Children of the Corn"Halloween candy, meet the cocktail. "Dr. Teeth" is an Old Fashioned with Milky Way-infused bourbon, "Bed Sheet Ghost" is a Pina Colada with Butterfinger-infused pineapple rum. The aptly named Children of the Corn is a Moscow Mule with candy corn-infused vodka.
- 10.The Wallace's "For the Watch"This Blood & Sand variation is inspired by 'Game of Thrones.' The ink black sipper is made with Lawai Japanese Whiskey, Amaro CioCiarro, Cointreau Guignolet (cherry), grapefruit juice, and squid ink.