WHERE TO TRY MEXICO CITY-STYLE TORTAS (AND PICS OF WHAT TO ORDER)
LA is seeing an influx of serious sandwich makers who honed their skills making Mexico City street food. Here are just a few places in LA's torta boom, according to Digest blogger Bill Esparza.
- •Los Poblanos truckServes cemita poblana, a meat sandwich (usually a milanesa) with oaxacan cheese, pickled jalapeños, and a spread of retried beans on a sesame seed cemita roll. In Boyle Heights.
- •Cook's TortasOrder the Zacatecano, a messy chorizo sandwich served with potato salad. In Monterey Park.
- •Guerrilla TacosAny night chef Wes Avila puts a torta on the menu of his Arts District truck, you can count on indulgences like his open-faced fried duck egg torta topped with sea urchin and arugula. DTLA
- •Tortas Ahogadas GuadalajaraHomemade birote (kinda like Mexican baguette) with carnitas and tangy chile Yahualica sauce. In Huntington Park.
- •Tony's Torta AhogadasWeekend torta cart in Boyle Heights
- •Super Tortas D.F.Serves super-sized tortas chilangas with the best bread. South L.A.
- •Tacos D.F.One of the best places to get *pambazo* a chile guajillo-soaked roll that's filled with fried potatoes, chorizo, and Mexican cheese. Located in a South Gate